Main Article Content
The total fertility rate in West Sumatra Province is relatively high when compared to Riau, South Sumatra, and Jambi Province. The 2010 Population Census showed that there were still many couples of childbearing age (EFA) who gave birth over the age of 35 in West Sumatra Province. The highest birth rate by age (ASFR) is in Agam Regency and Pariaman City, so both are designated as research areas. This study aims to reveal the characteristics of EFA who give birth at the age of over 35 years in West Sumatra Province. The survey method was applied to 100 respondents, consisting of 48 respondents in Agam Regency and 52 respondents in Pariaman City. The results of the study revealed that the highest number of PUS giving birth at the age of over 35 years in Agam Regency was in the 35-39 year age range, while in Pariaman City was in the 40-44 year age range. In both Agam Regency and Pariaman City, EFA is dominated by mothers who work as housewives (75%). The high rate of EFA births over the age of 35 is also influenced by the age of marriage. In both Agam Regency and Pariaman City, most of the women who gave birth over the age of 35 were married in the young adult age range (20-29 years). In addition, there are couples of childbearing age who married more than once at the age of over 30 years. This encourages EFA to have children up to the age of 35 years and over. The highest to lowest maternal age at the last birth, respectively, was in the range of 35-39 years (74%), 40-44 years (25%), and 45-49 years (1%).
- 1. Craig, D. A., & Porter, D. (2006). Development beyond neoliberalism?: Governance, poverty reduction and political economy. Routledge.
- 2. Green, G. P., & Haines, A. (2015). Asset building & community development. Sage publications.
- 3. Marshelly, L., & Iskarni, P. (2016). Karakteristik Pelaku Mobilitas di Kelurahan Sungai Piring Kecamatan Batang Tuaka Kabupaten Indragiri Hilir Propinsi Riau. Jurnal Geografi, 5(2), 131-131.
- 4. Badan Pusat Statistik [BPS] (2011). Data Penduduk Nasional Dalam Angka 2010.
- 5. Badan Kependudukan dan Keluarga Berencana Nasional [BKKBN] (2011). Greand desain pengendalin kualitas penduduk kota.
- 6. Badan Kependudukan dan Keluarga Berencana Nasional [BKKBN]. (2017). Peraturan Kepala Badan Kependudukan dan Keluarga Berencana Nasional Nomor 24 tahun 2017 tentang Pelayanan Keluarga Berencana Pasca Persalinan dan Pasca Keguguran.Jakarta: BKKBN.
- 7. Badan Kependudukan dan Keluarga Berencana Nasional [BKKBN]. (2012). Peraturan Kepala Badan Kependudukan dan Keluarga Berencana Nasional Nomor 24 tahun 2017 tentang Pelayanan Keluarga Berencana Pasca Persalinan dan Pasca Keguguran.Jakarta: BKKBN.
- 8. Iskarni, P. (2012). Fertilitas Provinsi Sumatera Barat: Analisis Data Sensus 2010. Universitas Negeri Padang.
- 9. Iskarni, P. (2011). Migrasi Internal Provinsi Sumatera Barat. Universitas Negeri Padang.
- 10. Badan Pusat Statistik [BPS] (2011). Data Penduduk Sumatera Barat Dalam Angka 2010.
- 11. Bittles, A. H., Mason, W. M., Greene, J., & Rao, N. A. (1991). Reproductive behavior and health in consanguineous marriages. Science, 252(5007), 789-794.
- 12. Te Velde, E. R., & Pearson, P. L. (2002). The variability of female reproductive ageing. Human reproduction update, 8(2), 141-154.
- 13. Munné, S., Chen, S., Fischer, J., Colls, P., Zheng, X., Stevens, J., ... & Cohen, J. (2005). Preimplantation genetic diagnosis reduces pregnancy loss in women aged 35 years and older with a history of recurrent miscarriages. Fertility and sterility, 84(2), 331-335.