Main Article Content
The aim of this research was to find out the effect of using mind mapping on the writing ability of the seventh grade students at SMP Negeri 10 Pematangsiantar in the academic year of 2019/2020. This research was conducted on June 2020. This research was classified as a true-experimental study. It involved 64 students from two groups, Class VII2 (32 students) as the experimental group and Class VII1 (32 students) as the control group. The experimental group was students taught using mind mapping whereas the control group was students taught using conventional technique. The data were obtained by using pre-test and post-test. The data of the pre-test and post- test of both groups were analyzed by using descriptive and inferential statistics. (SPSS 21.0) .The result of the research shows that the testing hypothesis of post-test scores, it is found that tcount (8.63) > ttable (1.67) at the significance level a = 0.05 and degrees of freedom (df) = 62. H0 is rejected and Ha is accepted. So, It means that the mind mapping strategy effect significantly to improve students’ writing ability at the seventh grade of SMP Negeri 10 Pematangsiantar academic year of 2019/2020
- Arikunto, S. (2010). Prosedur Penelitian. Jakarta : PT. Rineka Cipta.
- Arikunto, S. (2013). Prosedur Penelitian Suatu Pendekatan Praktik. Jakarta: PT Rineka Cipta.
- Barus, L. D. G., Herman., and Niswa, K. (2020). The Effect of Student Teams Achievement Divisions (STAD) to the Students’ Writing Ability on Recount Text. Journal of English Education and Teaching (JEET), Volume 4 number 4, December 2020, Page 536-547. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33369/jeet.4.4.536-547. Retrieved from: https://ejournal.unib.ac.id/index.php/JEET/article/view/10852
- Buzan,T. (2005). Buku Pintar Mind Map. Jakarta: Gramedia.
- Buzan,T. (2006).The Ultimate Book Of Mind Maps. Jakarta:Gramedia.
- Butler, G. Katherine, Silliman, R. Elaine.(2002). Speaking, Reading, and writing in Children With Language Learning Disabilities. London : New Jersey.
- Cresswell, W, John. 2016. Research Design 4th Edition. Penerbit Pustaka Pelajar.
- Gerot, L. & Wignell, P. (1994). Making Sense of Functional Grammar. Sydney: Gerd Stabler.
- Harmer, J. (2004). How to Teach Writing. New York: Pearson Education Limited. Longman.
- Herman. (2014). An experiential function on students’ Genre of writing. Jakarta: Halaman Moeka Publishing.
- Herman, Sibarani, J. K., and Pardede, H. (2020). The Effect of Jigsaw Technique in Reading Comprehension on Recount Text. Cetta: Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan, Jayapangus Press ISSN 2615-0891 (E) Vol. 3 No. 1 (2020), PP. 84-102. Retrieved from http://jayapanguspress.penerbit.org/index.php/cetta/article/view/413
- Herman., Purba, R., Thao, N. V., & Purba, A. (2020). Using Genre-based Approach to Overcome Students’ Difficulties in Writing. Journal of Education and E-Learning Research, 7(4), 464-470. https://doi.org/10.20448/journal.509.2020.74.464.470. Retrieved from: https://www.asianonlinejournals.com/index.php/JEELR/article/view/2417
- Jacobs, Holly D., S. A. Zingrat., D. Rwormuth., V. F. Hatfield. And J. B. Hughey. (1981). Testing ESL Composition: A Practical Approach.
- Nickols, Fred. (2016). Strategy Definitions & Meanings.Baic Books
- Nunan, David. 2005. Practical English Language Teaching. New York: The McGraw-HillCompanies,Inc.
- Oshima, A and Hogue, A. (2006). Writing academic English 4th Edition. Harlow: Pearson Education.
- Pardede, H. and Herman. (2020). The Effect of Numbered Heads Together Method to the Students’ Ability in Writing Recount Text. Cetta: Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan, Jayapangus Press, ISSN 2615-0913 (E), Vol. 3 No. 2 (2020), PP. 291-303. Retrieved from http://jayapanguspress.penerbit.org/index.php/cetta/article/view/455
- Pasaribu, B., Herman, and Hutahaean, D. T. (2020). Students’ Difficulties In Translating Narrative Text From English Into Indonesia At Grade VIII Of SMP Negeri 9 Pematangsiantar. Acitya: Journal of Teaching & Education, Vol. 2 No. 1 2020, PP. 12-18. Retrieved from http://journals.umkt.ac.id/index.php/acitya/article/view/1311
- Rajagukguk, T. A., Herman. H., & Sihombing, P. S. R. (2020). The Effect of Using Collaborative Writing Method on Students’ Writing Recount Text at Grade Ten of SMK YP 1 HKBP Pematangsiantar. Acitya: Journal of Teaching and Education, 2(2), 95-114. DOI: https://doi.org/10.30650/ajte.v2i2.1363. Retrieved from: http://journals.umkt.ac.id/index.php/acitya/article/view/1363
- Rass, R. A. (2005). Integrating Reading and Writing for Effective Language Teaching. Retrieved on November, 10th 2012.English Teaching Forum, Vol.39 (1): 1-3. http://eca.state.gov/forum/vols.vol39/nol/p30.htm
- Sinaga, H., Herman., and Hutauruk, B. S. (2020). Students’ Difficulties in Using Personal Pronouns in Writing Recount Text . Scientia: Jurnal Hasil Penelitian, 5(1), 29-36. https://doi.org/10.32923/sci.v5i1.1341. Retrieved from: https://jurnal.lp2msasbabel.ac.id/index.php/sci/article/view/1341
- Sinaga, Y. K., Herman, and Siahaan, P. L. (2020). The Effect of Partner Reading Strategy on Reading Comprehension. Journal of English Education and Teaching (JEET), e-ISSN: 2622-5867, p-ISSN: 2685-743x, Volume 4 number 2, June 2020, Page 206-218. Retrieved from https://ejournal.unib.ac.id/index.php/JEET/article/view/10206
- Sphoorthi. (2013). Mind Mapping- an effective learning adjunct to acquire a tsunami of information. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications Vol 3: ISSN 2250-3153.