Main Article Content
This research is conducted in order to find our the idiomatic expressions used in the Ed Sheeran’s album songs entitled Divine. This research was done by using qualitative research which focused on content or document analysis. The songs from Ed Sheeran’s album, Divine, were chosen as the data source in this research. The data were analyzed by using the theory of Makkai (1972). The researchers browsed the song album from internet, seeking the script lyrics of the song, listening and transribing. After that, the analysis of the data covered reading, analyzing, identifying, classifying the types of idiomatics expressions found from the songs lyrics, and last was drawing conclusion. After analyzing the data, the researchers found that there were two idiomatic expressions depicted in the lyrics songs, they were phrasal verb idiom and 4 Tournure idiom. Phrasal verb idiom was the most dominant with 6 data (60%) and tournure idiom with 4 data (40%).
- Abrams, M.H. (2009). A Glossary of Literary Terms.(9th Ed). Boston: Wadsworth Cengage
- Ary, D., Jacobs, L.C.,& Sorensen,C.(2010). Introduction To Research in Education. USA:
- Biber, D., Johansson, S., Leech. G., Conrad, S.,& Finegan, E. 2006, Longman: Grammar of spoken and written English. In Longman: Grammar of Spoken and Written English. Longman.
- Butarbutar, E. V., Sinurat, B., Herman., and Purba, L. (2020). Idiomatic Expressions in “A
- Thousand Words” Movie. Actual Social Science Review, Vol 1 No 1 (2020), PP. 1-11. Retrieved from: https://syniutajournals.com/index.php/ASSR/article/view/159
- Halliday, M.A.K. (2007). Language and Education (Vol. 9). New York: Continuum.
- Herman. (2015). Illocutionary Acts Analysis of Chinese in Pematangsiantar. International
- Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention, Volume 4 Issue 12, PP.41-48. Retrieved from http://www.ijhssi.org/papers/v4(12)/Version-2/E0401202041048.pdf
- Herman. (2016). Students’ Difficulties in Pronouncing the English Labiodental Sounds.
- Communication and Linguistics Studies. Vol. 2, No. 1, 2016, pp. 1-5. doi: 10.11648/j.cls.20160201.11. Retrieved from http://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/journal/paperinfo?journalid=357&doi=10.11648/j.cls.20160201.11
- Herman and Silalahi, D. E. (2020). Critical Discourse Analysis on “We are the World 25 for Haiti”
- Song Lyrics. Journal of English Education and Teaching (JEET), e-ISSN: 2622-5867, p-ISSN: 2685-743x, Volume 4 number 1, March 2020, Page 36-48. Retrieved from https://ejournal.unib.ac.id/index.php/JEET/article/view/9710
- Hernanto, P. G. (2017). An analysis of idiomatic expressions in song lyrics from of Monsters and
- Men`s album My Head is an Animal. Skripsi thesis, Sanata Dharma University
- Hurford, J.R. (2007). Semantics: A Course Book (2nd edition). New York: Cambrige
- University Press.
- Lado, M. J. (2006).Ungkapan Kata Kerja dan Idiom.Jakarta:Erlangga.
- Makkai, Adam. (1972). Idiom Structure in English, Paris: The Hague
- Pakpahan, D. P., Herman., Purba, C. N., and Purba, R., (2020). An Analysis of Connotative
- Meaning on Westlife Song Lyrics Based on Semantics. American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences Research (AJHSSR), Volume 04 - Issue 10, PP. 34-44. Retrieved from: https://www.ajhssr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/D204103444.pdf
- Panjaitan, P. S. A., Herman., and Sinaga, Y. K. (2020). Figurative Language Analysis t Song
- Lyrics Of Billie Eilish “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” Album. American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences Research (AJHSSR), Volume 04 - Issue 10, PP. 10-20. Retrieved from https://www.ajhssr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/B204101020.pdf
- Rainey, D. W. And Larsen, J. D. (2002). The Effect of Familiar Melodies on Initial Learning and Long-term Memory for Unconnected Text. Music Perception: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Winter 2002), pp. 173-186. https://doi.org/10.1525/mp.2002.20.2.173. Retrieved from: https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/mp.2002.20.2.173
- Siefring, J. (2004). Oxford dictionary of idioms. New York: Oxford University Press Inc.
- Sinaga, D. A., Herman., Hutahaean, D. T. and Niswa, K. (2020). Semantic Analysis on Idiomatic Expression in the "Central Intelligence" Movie. European Exploratory Scientific Journal ISSN 2616-5740, Vol 4 No 3 (2020), PP. 10-19. Retrieved from https://syniutajournals.com/index.php/EESJ/article/view/164
- Sitorus, E. and Herman. (2019). A Deixis Analysis of Song Lyrics in Calum Scott “You Are the
- Reason”. International Journal of Science and Qualitative Analysis. Vol. 5, No. 1, 2019, pp. 24-28. doi: 10.11648/j.ijsqa.20190501.14. Retrieved from http://www.sciencepg.com/journal/paperinfo?journalid=358&doi=10.11648/j.ijsqa.20190501.14
- Spears, R. A.(2005).McGraw-Hill’s dictionary of American idioms. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Thao, N. V. and Herman. (2020). An Analysis of Deixis to Song Lyrics “My Heart Will Go on” by Celine Dion. Communication and Linguistics Studies. Vol. 6, No. 2, 2020, pp. 23-26. Retrieved from http://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/journal/paperinfo?journalid=357&doi=10.11648/j.cls.20200602.12