Main Article Content
Educational planning is key to the realization of education objectives in Nigeria. Educational planning is facing many problems in Nigeria. This article discussed the problems facing planning of education in Nigeria. The article identified: inadequate funding of educational planning, inadequate educational planners, lack of data/information, shortage of planning materials, political influence, political instability and poor capacity development of educational planners as challenges facing planning of education in Nigeria. To address the challenges facing planning of education in Nigeria, the following were suggested: increment in the funding of educational planning, generation of current data, provision of adequate planning materials, employment of more professional planner, policy continuity and ensuring constant training and retraining programme for educational planners.
- Aghenta, J. A (1993) Principles and practice of educational planning: Focus on the developing Countries. Benin City: NSEP. PP23-25
- Agabi, O. G (1995) “Educational Planning: An overview’ in Peretomode, V.F (ed) Introduction to Educational Administration, Planning and Supervision. Lagos: JOJA Educational Research and Publishers ltd.pp 12- 14
- Gbenu, J. P. (2012) Educational Planning and Local Community Development in Nigeria. Journal of Emerging Trends in Educational Research and Policy Studies (JETERAPS) 3(6): 850-855
- Longe, R. S. (2003). Iniroduction to Educational Planning. In Babalola, J. B. (ed). Basic Text in Educational Planning. Ibadan: Awemark Industrial Printers.
- Mgbekem, S. J. A., Ntukidem, P. J, Etor, R. B. (2004) Planning Imperatives for Sustainability of Qualitative Educational Enterprise in Nigeria: The Role of the Educational Planner. African Journal of Educational Studies in Mathematics and Sciences, Vol. 2 No. 2,p41-49
- Noun (2009) Concepts and Theories of Educational Administration and Planning EDA 811
- Ozigi, Albert and Canham Peter (1979). An Introduction of the Foundations of Education: London. Macmillan.
- Olaniyonu, S.O.A., Adekoya, S.O.A. and Gbenu, J.P. (2004). Fundamentals of Educational Planning. Ibadan:Olu-Akin Publishers.
- Ogunode, N., Gregory D., & Abubakar, M. (2020). Assessment of political officeholders’ attitudes towards planning of education in Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Nigeria. Journal of Educational Research in Developing Areas, 1 (1), 68-79. https://doi.org/10.47434/JEREDA.1.1.2020.68
- Ololube, N. P. (2013) The Problems and Approaches to Educational Planning in Nigeria: A Theoretical Observation. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences MCSER Publishing, Rome-Italy Vol 4 No 12