Main Article Content
The Covid-19 pandemic has disturbed the World’s political, social, economic, religious, and financial structures. The COVID-19 was declared by the World Health Organization (WHO) on 30th January 2020 as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). On 27th February 2020, the Federal Ministry of Health announced the confirmation of the first case of Coronavirus disease in Lagos State, Nigeria. To prevent the spread of the virus the federal government issued a directive on lockdown of all official and unofficial programme. These actions affected all organizations and institutions include the local churches in Nigeria. The article discussed the impact of COVID-19 on local churches in Nigeria. Secondary data were sourced from print material and online publication by recognized institutions and individual authors. The article identified; suspension of corporate worship, suspension of sacramental activities: (Baptism, marriages, confirmation, Holy Communion, suspension of crowd, revival programme, reduction in the income of the church and suspension of rural evangelism and increase in the welfares packages of the local churches as the impact of COVID-19 on the local churches in Nigeria. To ensure the continuation of worship during the COVID-19 pandemic, the article recommended the following: pastors should adopt the use of the ICT facilities and other technological tools in reaching to their members and sharing the word of God While the traditional physical means of pastoral ministry should be continued as much as possible, pastors should the use of Internet facilities to alternate ministry, as supplementary to the traditional ways (Adebayo,2020), the local churches should diversify revenue generation to create more income generation apart from offerings, and government should distribute palliative using the local churches.
- Adebayo Afolaranmi (2019). “Effective Use of Technological Tools in Building the Church's Educational Ministries”. Retrieved June 10, 2020 from https://www.academia.edu/40251074/
- Adebayo, O, A. (2020) Effects of covid-19-pandemic lockdown of churches in nigeria on pastoral ministry: matters arising. EPRA International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research (IJMR).Vol, 6(6), P 45.
- Barry, Y. (2014) Corporate Worship. https://gentlereformation.com/2013/05/16/defining- corporate-worship/
- Ben Osawe (2020) Post-COVID-19 Nigeria Churches. Seven Characteristics of post-Nigerian Churches. Tearfund Nigeria, Jos, Nigeria/2020
- Importance of Corporate worship (2017). https://www.compellingtruth.org/corporate-worship.html
- JustDisciple (2020) Local Church:Definition, purpose and Importance. https://justdisciple.com/what-is-the-local-church/
- Jerry W. Brown (1973). Church Staff Team That Wins (Nashiville: Convention Press), 23.
- Jacinta, C,. N (2020) Between Religious Freedom and Public Good: Reaction to Religious Restriction to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 IN Nigeria. https://kujenga-amani.ssrc.org/2020/05/20/between-religious-freedom-and-the-public-good-reactions-to- religious-restrictions-to-prevent-the-spread-of-covid-19-in-nigeria.
- Jonathan, L. (2014) WHAT IS A LOCAL Church? https://www.9marks.org/article/what-is-a-local-church/
- Ogunode N, J. (2020) Effects of COVID-19 Schools Close Down on Academic Programme of Senior Secondary Schools in Abaji Area Council of Federal Capital Territory Abuja, Nigeria. Electronic Research Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Vol 2: Issue II,P- 84-97
- Oyelola A. Adegboye, Adeshina I. Adekunle, and Ezra Gayawan (2020). “Early Transmission Dynamics of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria”. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020, 17, 3054. Retrieved May 30, 2020 from https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17093054, 7.
- Peterson Ozili (2020). “Covid-19 pandemic and economic crisis: The Nigerian experience and structural causes”. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 2020. Retrieved June 7, 2020 from http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3567419, 2.
- Tips For Social Distancing, Quarantine, And Isolation During An Infectious Disease Outbreak”. Retrieved March 28, 2020 from https://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/tips-social- distancing-quarantine-isolation-031620.pdf, p. 1
- World Council of Churches (2020) Statement on the Role of Churches in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Love, Steadfastness, Hope and Courage. https://www.oikoumene.org/en/resources/documents/executive-committee/online-june-2020/statement-on-the-role-of-churches-in-the-context-of-the-covid-19-pandemic-love-steadfastness-hope-and-courag.